Wednesday, January 30, 2008

NKOTB

...which, for you uninitiated, stands for New Kids on the Block. Or, in this case, kid. As in singular. As in there's just the one of me. Lucky you.

It's a new year (Well, a month into a new year -- 2008, for those of you either not paying attention or abusing your prescription sleeping pills), and that means that it's time for a new blog.

--Hold up a second. Really? Does the blogosphere really need another blogger? I mean, I spend half my day the way it is trying to keep up with the latest, the trendiest, the hippest and snarkiest. I'm not sure I've got time for another one.

Oh. Um. OK. I guess I was just...I mean, I thought...uh...

--And what's your blog about anyway? Please tell me this isn't another blog devoted to "reviewing" your favorite comic books/music/movies/RPGs/J-culture obsessions. That shit is tired, brah.

Well...oh. Really? I mean, I was kinda thinking I might...

--You might what? Bore me to tears by telling me all about your dumb love for Strangers with Candy, Coil, and Daniel Craig?

I'm sorry. Were you saying something? I got...distracted.

--Or maybe you'll try to show how "smart" and "political" you are by applying feminism or queer theory to pop culture, particularly the genre trash you geeks are so obsessed with.

Wow. Um...I mean...just...wow. You might want to, uh, move along or something, 'cause I really don't think you're going to like it here.

--Or wait. I've got it. You're going to post some extended essay on Rufus Wainwright, Robbie Williams, and the pressures of pop revivification.

Actually, I thought I'd just save that for class. See, I'm taking a course on Performing the Past, and...

--Jesus. You're a doctoral student, aren't you? Let me guess. Cultural Studies.

Actually, Theatre. Now step away from the comment button, or I may have to get nast--

--I'm out. Loser.



Gee, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

No comments: